Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Growing

We are nearly to Baby GL's first Christmas.  Prior to Christmas coming, Baby GL had another synergist shot last week.  The nurse comes to give him his shot.  That one is very important to protect him from RSV which preemies are at higher risk at getting.  He'll get the shot monthly through the winter.  I can't say it's a pleasant visit from Gianluca.  He's never crazy about the band aid on his leg.

His weight during the visit was 11lbs 5oz, 23 inches.  He must have hit a small growth spurt because the time between 21-23 inches went very quickly.  I'm putting away more clothing now because there's no room to stretch his legs.  I find a lot of his clothing to make him feel better physically, because so many are huge through the tummy, but very short in the length.  For Baby GL, who has shorter legs and arms, it works towards his advantage.  He may not realize the sizing issues now, but I can and he will see his pictures when he's older.

Our day to day is pretty much the same, lately.  We've been trying to work more on his exercising.  We haven't had a visit from therapy in the last 3 weeks so we've been doing the exercises we were taught and extra we feel he'll love and benefit from.  Most of the time we're working on getting him to laugh.  We get goofy and he gets the "you're strange" look on his face.  However, we do crack a giggle sometimes. He seems to have a better mood in the morning so we'll see more smiles and giggles then.

We've been struggling with our sleep the last few nights.  Baby GL will begin screaming without even waking up.  Usually we can fix it with the pacifier, but it won't always last long.  It's like he knows when you get in bed and lay down because that's the point he'll explode.  This morning it occurred to me why he may be having some issues.  In an attempt to be a "health promoting" Mommy and get in the band wagon of brown rice I tried it on Baby GL. Apparently, there's a group trying to get parents off the habit of feeding white rice as the 1st food to babies.  I agree with the logic, but i think it's hard for Baby GL to digest which may be the reason for the sudden change in his sleep habits. As much as I would love to promote a health start to my son's diet I can't support his screams of pain.  In the Ayurvedic diet (Indian), brown rice is actually not great for easy digestion.  I will go back to the plain single grain rice for him and we will see if it makes the difference.  I hate to experiment with my son's meals but I just want to find what makes him most comfortable and promotes good growth.

Unfortunately, Baby GL is a little too young yet to take part in the holiday meal and many festivities of the season.  I get his attention when I sing him Christmas carols.  Again, I get that look of uncertainty from him.  I like to think he gets that it's a holiday.  He definitely knows it cold outside, because he gets bundled so tightly when we go out. Maybe no sledding this winter.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment