Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Rolling, rolling, rolling

Our week has progressed very well.  Baby GL is rolling like a pro now.  It only takes moments now for me to find him 5 feet away and facing a different direction.  He rolls onto his tummy, then rolls off, then he scoots and continues to roll again.  When he wants something he is determined to get to it even without the ability to crawl yet.  


Slowly we've been eating more by spoon.  It may only be a few bites, but I'm so pleased.  Baby GL still won't open his mouth wide for a spoon like he does his bottle, however, he doesn't swat the spoon away now.  He makes a small movement forward with his mouth just open enough for a small spoon to slide in. I will take anything I can get.  He is very excited to try eating what we put into our mouths.  Every time we eat he watches and makes the reach in to grab our food. A couple times he's grabbed food and tried to put it in his mouth. Usually it's followed by me sweeping my finger into his mouth to get the pieces and crumbs out.  He licked a Mum-Mum cookie until it melted into tiny pieces in his hands. He's really showing so much interest to eat which keeps us so motivated to keep trying.


The weather has been better for us getting out now.  Baby GL loves taking walks in his stroller.  There's so much stimulation outside for him.  The air is much fresher for his lungs, which makes me feel better.  After a long winter inside with stale air and an energetic child gets frustrating.  We, as parents, are healthier now to get out with Baby GL.  My husband just carries him around the neighborhood and gets that time to bond with him outside.  


Some things we're working on in Speech therapy is recognizing words and objects.  The therapist will hold up 2 toys, say the name of one of them and try to get Baby GL to grab the corresponding toy.  He likes the game, but when he picks the wrong one she takes it away and I think he gets a little confused.  It's all a process, though. PT and OT have just been thrilled about his progress.  He's much looser in the torso. He's reaching to grab his feet and twisting and turning to reach his toys all around him.  It's really great to see so much progress.  Hopefully the weight will then catch up with that progress.  


We did have our one year pediatrician visit last week.  We were 2 months late, that was my fault.  It actually worked out well because it gave him 2 more months to get bigger for the 3 shots he got for his vaccines.  Of course that was followed by a fever into the next day which made him miserable all day.  On top of teething we had a long week of whimpering.  It breaks your heart to know your child is so uncomfortable.  However, it also pulls at your patience because your left not knowing how to comfort your child.  I think it's a day to day practice that will probably never get better, I just hope I will progressing grow my patience, though.  

So I've been asked many times about having a second child.  It's a difficult question to answer.  I would love to have another child that is just like Baby GL. He's been such a blessing to us.  My husband fears that he won't be able to love another child as much as he loves Baby GL.  My fears are, of course, what are the chances this will happen again.  I think we'd be terrible parents if we made a choice to put another child through this.  Even though Baby GL has been a miracle and a great success already, I think it will be a while before we'd decide about a brother or sister for Baby GL.

No comments:

Post a Comment