Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Home for the Holidays

Gianluca was home for the holidays.  This holiday season made me nervous wondering if we were going to have an emergency room visit again.  There was one day, even, that I sat holding Gianluca while he was sick.  He was so sleepy and had a fever.  He doesn't normally fall asleep in my arms so that made me worry. I think it will be a while before I can get over the nervous feelings that arise when he's sick.  He's made it through all his little colds and sniffles.  Most of the sniffles now are from all the teeth popping in.  Molars and all. He still refuses to let me brush his teeth.  

The greatest gift we got this Christmas was Gianluca walking.  He is all over the place.  When he hears the creak of the front door he is up off the floor and running to the door to take a walk yelling "bye, bye" behind him.  There is nothing stopping him from traveling far now.  He's started climbing more, too. He can get in and out of his high chair without problems.  My parents are now commenting how much trouble he's getting in.  He can open doors and drawers in the kitchen and has even figured out how to open the dishwasher. No obstacles too difficult.

Gianluca is the typical little boy.  He's now 22 months old, it's been quite a journey. Whenever we go out the comments we get are "he's so small", which he is. At 22 months old he is still wearing 3 month pants. He has moved into 6-9 month onsies.  His outfits now have to be 9 months for length.  We haven't had him weighed in a few weeks but his last weight was 16lbs 8oz. He feels heavier, though his appetite hasn't been great.  He does the majority of his eating at night which isn't great for my own sleeping schedule.  We are seeing the feeding clinic at Children's Hospital in March.  Hopefully we can get him eating more.  It's a struggle to give him anything by spoon.  He is at least moving into more textured foods.  I can use the mill to grind his food rather than blending it fine in the blender.

One of the funny stories that still brings a smile to my face happened at the mall.  I took Gianluca with me to Old Navy.  He was showing off his walking skills all over the store.  He managed to find his way over to a tall, blind little girl, maybe 4 years old.  He grabbed her hand and stood there looking way up to her smiling.  I could see he was reaching in for a kiss but the little girl wasn't sure how to react.  It was the cutest thing. The little girl's mother tried to get her to say hello or do anything but she just stood there, nervous while Gianluca tried to woo her.  I guess I will have my hands full with this kid. Not even 2 and he's already picking up his daddy's habits.  It's amazing how learning how to walk and he no long has inhibitions.  

Chirstmas eve we spent at our cousin's house.  Full house of people that Gianluca doesn't see on a normal basis.  At first he was hesitant and not sure where we were.  After 20 minutes he hit the floor running in every direction.  He was walking all over, walking around people like they weren't there and making his way to the rooms where the girls were playing.  He walked for hours completely fine, saying "bye, bye" as he passed.  It was a total 180 from where he was last Christmas Eve.

So now our days are walking, babbling, and making messes.  I have wished for these days to come and now they have arrived.  We still have battles in front of us with eating and doctor appointments but I don't see us returning to where we were one year ago.  To top of these great progress, yesterday I handed him his bottle and he signed "milk" for me.  That was the first time I saw him make that connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment