Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pre-Ops

It's been a pretty busy couple weeks in this family.  Baby GL just keep us on our toes nowadays.  He's moving around with ease.  If he wants to get to something he will get there.  It may take a roll, reach and scoot but he'll get there.  Something we did together was a Baby & Me yoga class for my prenatal students. It was great to show them some poses to bond with their babies and Baby GL loved it.  His favorite is going upside down.  It brings an immediate giggle.  


Our clinic visit last week was for Endocrine, they check his thyroid.  He's been on a tablet for his thyroid since he was in the NICU and it sounds like he'll continue to stay on it.  It's really his only med he's taking for now.  It's the only clinic we need ot have labs drawn up for.  That is a terrible experience for Baby GL.  He has such small arms that it takes a while for the nurse to draw blood.  In this case they started in one arm and ended in another.  I'm not sure how that can be a happy experience for any baby.


So I took my trip last week.  I was away from Baby GL for 4 complete days.  I really thought I would be falling apart.  He was on my mind everyday with everything I did.  I survived, though.  I at least was able to connect over the computer with him.  I think it was probably a good way for me to be away from him for the first time.  It's always a struggle as a mother to put your trust in everyone else to take care of him.  I wrote out a schedule for my husband, by the hour and even added that he's need a bath.  I did the same for my mother. I've never been so type-A until my son arrived.  Now I have to work on relaxing.  Maybe next time I'll try going on vacation.

So today we had our Pre-op appointment for his surgery next week.  It was just a general informative visit.  He needed his vitals checked, weight and height.  We were given a schedule for the day as well as instructions for when to stop feeding him.  I actually got emotional during the appointment when the doctor mentioned he'll need to be intubated.  I knew that he would be but when she started talking about it the whole thing became very real.  We've seen so many bad moments in our son's short life that have included him needing to be intubated.  His surgery is 2-3 hours long so it's too long to go without intubation when under heavy anesthesia.  We should be able to take him home in the evening, however, if he has issues coming of the ventilator it may turn into an overnight stay.  My hopes are to put him to bed in his own crib.  Our week now is preparing ourselves for surgery on Monday.   

No comments:

Post a Comment