Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Back to the ER - Tuesday, September 28, 2010

When I was hoping for a relaxing weekend I ended up with the complete opposite.  Once again we took a trip to the ER.  After a long afternoon of trying to feed Baby GL through a clogged G/J-tube we ended up taking a trip to the hospital.  So the J part of the tube is where we feed Baby GL.  This part goes through the stomach to the Jejunum, part of the intestine.  This tube is actually tapered so it gets quite small towards the end.  With this new tube it's critical it gets proper care and unfortunately I wasn't properly taught.  Once we are done with a feeding the tube has to be flushed, but with a lot more water than I was giving.  Between the milk and meds it's very easy for the tube to get clogged.  So, after all my failed attempts on Saturday the only thing to do was go to the ER.  No doctors offices open on a Saturday evening and we needed to feed Baby GL.  

I spent about 4-5 hours sitting with Baby GL in the same room we had during our last visit to the ER.  Thank goodness for a tv because it was a long, boring visit.  After a few hours the doctors tried to get some info on if we could feed Baby GL through the gastric part of the G/J-tube.  That part is just like the tube he had which fed him in his stomach.  He's at more risk to spit up and aspirate feeding into the stomach, though.  After more time passed the ER doctor came back to tell us the Interventional Radiology will come in Sunday morning to replace the tube.  I have to admit I was impressed that a team that doesn't work weekends was coming in on a Sunday. Baby GL's Baptism was on Sunday so I made sure to tell everyone I saw about it to make sure we'd get out on time. 

The procedure was quick as was the original.  I wasn't there the first time so I had no idea what to expect.  It was basically a lot of rooting around to remove the old tube.  I watched on the monitor while they slowly removed the old tubing exposing the hole in Baby GL's belly.  The new tube was put in it's place.  Seeing the tube and how the procedure was done gave me a better understanding of it.  Now we are changing our habits on our cares knowing that it could easily happen again.

Baby GL's baptism was so beautiful.  It was a wonderful day.  A lot of family and friends we finally able to meet him.  He was so content during the ceremony and slept through the party.  Still, I think he really enjoyed.  

His most current weight now is 8lbs 5.5ozs, 19 3/4 inches.  He's packing on the pounds quickly now.  He really warms our home with his pudgy little cheeks.  My husband and I took our first family walk today. It was the perfect day to get him out to enjoy the autumn weather. Not sure he'll be up for a sledding trip this year, but we'll get out as much as we can before it gets to bitter for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment