Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

First time Mom holds Baby GL - Friday, March 12, 2010


Early start to my day today.  I was very anxious to hold Baby GL.  Today he is one week old.  I prayed to get through that first week and we did, successfully.  What a way to celebrate by holding my angel.  

Baby GL's condo (isolette), so I call it, is always cranking out 80% humidity so he's on schedule to change his condo every 7 days.  I got there at the perfect time to be involved.  While the nurse held his breathing tubes, I held him bundled up.  He is so great at keeping calm during all the poking and moving around.  I think a can of coke is actually heavier than Baby GL was.  At 12oz even a bag of chocolate chips seems heavier than him.  Five minutes just isn't long enough.  I could've sat there all day holding him.  


After we got him in his new home I got to help get him comfortable.  We changed his blankets and positioned him on his side.  The nurse had me clean him up a little just around his head and ears.  He doesn't have to wear the mask any longer because he doesn't need the heat lamp or uv lamp anymore.  It's nice to finally see more of his face.  Each time I see him now he looks more like his daddy.  Even his blonde bits of hair are slowly darkening.  


Of course I got to change his diaper again.  It was entertaining to watch the nurses yesterday try to get a urine sample.  They taped a bag around his yoo-hoo to see if they could catch some urine to test.  Unfortunately, all that happened was a mess.  The second shot was using a cotton ball to catch the urine.  That seemed to work better.  The bag was very cute, regardless of if it worked.  


Aside from all the moving around today, Baby GL received a platelet transfusion.  That seemed to go well.  He also had an x-ray on his abdomen looking at his belly mostly.  It's interesting to see how the tests and x-rays are performed on such a small baby and how many people it takes to do everything.
The nurses have been placing him on his belly occasionally now.  He went on his belly last night and just slept all night very peacefully.  I guess babies breath better on there bellies, not that he has problems breathing. In fact his lungs and breathing are still doing great.  He had another head exam and that looked great.  Even his heart is in great shape.  Now our worries are on his stomach.  Being so small it's not easy to just immediately begin digesting so he needs some helping getting his gut moving.  

Baby GL is also getting some antibiotics to stop the beginning of an infection.  We are still waiting on the results of some tests that were done to determine if there is indeed an infection.  

Auntie J came to visit today.  She got to watch his little wiggles and be obsessed with his feet as I am.  We also had a visit from friends today who made some beautiful pictures to decorate Baby GL's walls.  It's been so wonderful having the support of so many people.  We have a very long journey ahead and I'm excited to see more milestones to celebrate with everyone.  Seven days, one week.  It's a great beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment