Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The beginning


Not really sure where to start our journey to give everyone a background on what has been happening.  This pregnancy moved pretty smoothly, I guess.  I was initially put on blood thinner injections that I gave myself each morning to prevent blood clots.  I was also later put on blood pressure meds since the pregnancy was causing high BP and we want to prevent Preeclampsia.

March 6, 2010
21 weeks: After an ultrasound I was told that there were some growth concerns.  There were enough concerns that the Dr recommended an amniocentesis to rule our Down Syndrome, Trisomy issues and to look at the chromosomes and genetics.  All the results came out negative (normal), which made me feel better.  However, I was told then that they just had no answer for me as to what was happening.  That left me very concerned and the Genetics counselor was asking if we wanted to continue our pregnancy.  Which, at the time we got the results we were already at 23 weeks.

Since the beginning I was ready to have some issues with me having kidney disease.  At first the perinatal Dr was ruling that out as a reason for problems.  By the 23rd week, when all the tests were coming back normal and the babies chest and head were developing pretty normally, he was convinced there was placental restriction occurring which kept the baby from growing at a normal pace.  It isn't definite, but the kidney disease could be the the result of these problems. At 23 weeks he was measuring a baby at about 20 weeks.  

What to do:  At 24 weeks Dr decided to have steroids given for baby's lung development and to prepare me that baby could come anytime. I was even meeting then with a Neonatal doctor to go through our options if the baby came at 24 weeks.  With my high blood pressure through the pregnancy there was a concern for Preeclampsia, which would result in early deliver.  I was being monitored 3x a week to watch the blood flow to the baby.  There were signs of absence of flow that they were able to see through a doppler ultrasound.  What we were watching for was reversal of flow which would move the blood and nutrients away from the baby and cause the baby to lose vitals.  

At my 24th week I was being prepared to have the baby either because of the flow issue or the Preeclampsia.  We were lucky enough that he held out 2 more weeks which I believe he had a lot of growth during that time and the opportunity to let the steroids work.

Wednesday, March 3rd:  I was admitted to the hospital to watch a closer eye on the flow after there was a lot of absence of flow coming up in the doppler.  By that night there were enough d-cels in the heartbeat that the drs were preparing me for a c-section that night. that included an IV, starvation, and ice chips.  I convinced them to move me from my back to my side and that helped enough that they felt comfortable leaving me cook the baby a little longer.  He was a pistol, though, for the nurses.  When they tried to find his heart beat he would swim away making a 20min monitor session take an hour chasing after the little trouble maker.  That's my son!  

Thursday, March 4th:  I had to see the perinatal doctor to check the blood flow.  Thankfully we didn't see any reversal so my starvation was over and I was allowed to eat.  After 15 hours you get hungry.  The IV was taken out, too.  We continued monitoring all day in 20 minute series to make sure we didn't see those d-cels again.  Thursday night I was put back on my surgery diet of IV fluids, no food, and ice chips just in case the next perinatal apt showed bad news.

Friday, March 5th:  I went down for my perinatal apt to check the doppler again.  I saw some blips on the screen which I asked the lab tech doing the ultrasound about.  She confirmed that could be the reversal of flow we didn't want to see.  She left the room to show the doctor the results and a nurse got me a tissue, which to me meant it was time.  It was a very scary moment to think we would have to deliver so soon, but we made it to 26 weeks and that made me very proud.  He had been measured only 380 grams (maybe 12-13oz), which is normal size for a baby at 20-21 weeks.  I had been praying the keep him until he was at least a pound.  It wasn't a good prognosis going in which made the whole experience very scary for my husband and me.  

The experience going into the surgery was rather interesting that I now laugh about.  There was a lot of rushing. The apt was at 9:30am and the c-section was scheduled for 11am.  I was trying frantically to get my mother on the phone which didn't work so a voicemail telling her I was going in for surgery had to do.  The preparation, which any woman who has had a c-section probably can relate, included a nasty shot of something described as tequila and sweet tarts.  Being that I was on the second day of a migraine I didn't hold that in long. Unfortunately, the Neonatal doctor came in to talk to us when I got sick.  I'm sure he's used to it.  He came to prepare us for the worst and explain the risks and odds involved with such a small baby.

Well, after the nasty shot came the surgical area prep.  You know shaving, cleaning the abdomen and inserting the catheter.  I have nothing to hide from my husband any longer.  In that moment we were still very scared so I didn't think about how it could be embarrassing going through this process.  It's funny how you reflect after the fact. Once I was ready I took a very fast ride in my bed to the OR.  To make me relax I was told to wave like a princess to passersby.  It didn't work.  Once in the OR the next step was the drugs.  I can't say that was a very comfortable moment.  It stung a bit, but then you lose all feeling.  It was still a very scary moment and I couldn't hold in the tears, which confused the drug guy.  He thought maybe I could feel something.  The whole experience, when I think back, was so surreal.
   
March 5, 11:40am: Baby Boy was born.  My husband said he tried so hard to cry and he clentched his fists tight with frustration.  I could only see his little feet and then his hands while they prepared him.  I got a glance of his face before they wheeled him out.  He was very bright pink.  While they finished with me I heard the Neonatologist come in to say he weighed 520 grams.  Prayers answered, he was over a pound.  

Later in the afternoon we got to visit.  My mom and husband went in first and Mom came out just amazed at how small his little legs are.  When I finally saw him he was wearing his tiny diaper that was still too big for him and they had his eyes covered with sunglasses (cloth with sunglasses imprinted).  He was looking like he was taking in the sun.  To keep in the humidity they covered him in plastic wrap which doesn't work well.  He kept his left hand gripping the plastic wrap and he would move it away.  So much movement kicking and shifting arms.  I couldn't believe that he could do that being so small.

Saturday, March 6:  We went to visit, my husband and I, this morning.  He was still moving about and active and he had a great night.  They are watching his sugars with insulin injections which I'm told is normal.  He is already having regular urine output which the nurses found out when he produced a long fountain of urine when they weren't ready.  The diapers, being a little too large, the nurses made a make shift diaper with a diaper under his hiney and a small gauze covering his front that they kept on him with the velco from the diaper.  It's so darling.  They let me change him this morning.  Baby's first diaper change.  It's funny the little things that make you so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment