Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

First dunk in the tub - Friday, April 30, 2010


We've had a great week.  Today Baby GL is 34 gestational weeks, 8 weeks real age.  He is slowly gaining weight.  I think it took adjusting to the new breathing apparatuses.  As of yesterday his weight was at 1030 grams. Today his feedings are going up to 20cc's every 3 hours.  OT will come to try bottle feeding again.  Yesterday Baby GL has another eye exam.  Looks like nothing has changed since last time which is good.  I believe what the doctor is looking for is for the vessels to not grow too quickly in the eyes.  The other great accomplishment is that it's official, his ventilator has been covered and wheeled away.  The doctors don't feel he'll need to be intubated again since he's doing so well on the cannula.

Wednesday night I gave Baby GL a bath.  Nothing unusual there. However, now that he's a big boy on a cannula he can be put into the bath tub.  The set up the tub with warm water and laid 2 blankets over one end to make a little incline for Baby GL to sit in, well, be held in.  He was positioned just far enough in that his feet dangled in the warm water.  He loved it!  The great thing is that I held him myself.  It was so great to hold my little man with my hands and wash him up as if we were at home.  He was very comfortable so I hope this is our new method for bath time. Towards the end I slid him down so his bottom half was in the water.  He was wide eyed and relaxed, moving his legs in the water.  It was quite a heart-warming time for me.  After his bath he got clean blankets and a new onsie and got snuggled  in his new snuggly from his Great Aunt.  He fell asleep during his feeding that followed.  

These are the times that I remember to be the most special.  His growth his so amazing and his journey has been a miracle for us.  I think our next step is having Grandma and Auntie hold him.  He's a big boy now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment