Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dad's first kiss - Saturday, April 3, 2010

It has been a great week for Baby GL and for us.  Yesterday marked him at 4 weeks.  Monday he will be officially one month old.  It's going to be a big weekend.

This week didn't have too many things happening medically.  The tests he's had were just on his liver and those take awhile before we'll get results.  He did have another head scan yesterday and it looked the same as it has so that's good.  His breathing has been doing great still. As for his weight, I think that was the biggest thing this week, literally. He was at 620 grams on Tuesday, which was just shy of 1lb 6oz.  Now, as of yesterday, he's up to 680 grams, 1lb 8oz.  I was so pleased to hear how much he's grown.  He's getting closer to 2lbs and I'm waiting for that certificate the nurses give that notes his 2lb milestone.

I've been able to do a lot more with Baby GL this week.  I even tried putting my wedding ring on his arm.  I guess this is a very popular method of measuring.   Another couple in the NICU gives me ideas for pictures all the time since they have been in there awhile with their child.  Well, my ring is very small and I wasn't able to slip it on his arm. His hands are actually pretty big.  I didn't want to try smooshing his fingers to get it on.  He did impress us by grabbing it from me and holding it for awhile.  It was very cute to watch.  We tried again with my husband's ring another day but, again, without smooshing his fingers it wasn't something that would simply slip on.

We had the most kangaroo sessions this week.  I held him Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday and again last night.  Last night was the longest at 2 hours.  By that point he gets wiggly because he's sitting in a wet diaper.  We are hoping to try again today, too, because he'll have his isolette/condo changed.  Thursday was the first time my husband has been there for a kangaroo session.  When you see, for the first time, what it takes to get Baby GL out of his isolette it's a little overwhelming.  The tubes and wires have to be disconnected and baby moves quickly to Mom to get reconnected.  It still makes my heart skip a beat watching him get disconnected so, for my husband, it was a little hard to watch.  Once Baby GL was settled he was fine.  It was the first time my husband ever got so close to him.  That was Baby GL's first kiss by Dad.  It was so sweet.  I'm sure soon my husband will get jealous of me holding him all the time and jump in for a session himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment