Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Oral tastes with milk - Sunday, March 28, 2010


It's been a good weekend.  Baby GL has been very stable and getting through everything very well.  He adjusts to the noises and moving better now than he did before.  We had planned to wait until today to change his condo and try to kangaroo again.  The nurse was pretty confident on how well he was doing yesterday that she decided to change his condo and have him kangaroo then.  It's not an easy transition moving him from his condo.  There are so many tubes and wires that need to move with him that it makes it very complicated.  That's why they are very cautious about wanting to change his condo until he shows he can remain stable through lots of movement.  He gets a little stressed from this type of movement. Once he's in position kangarooing he calms quickly.  

I held him for probably a good hour yesterday.  It was so comfortable that I nearly fell asleep.  Baby GL actually breathes on his own very well when we kangaroo.  The only thing I feel from him was his typical facial movements.  I actually heard him suckle a little, too.   It's so sweet to hold him.  The funny part is that the nurses put so many blankets on him and I can't feel how heavy or lack of heavy he is.  I just tried to wrap my palm around his diapered behind over one of his blankets just to get the feeling of holding him.  

Today my husband and I went to the hospital together.  He is not quite as brave when it comes to touching and doing things with Baby GL.  I've gotten use to jumping in to change his diaper and trying to calm him by stroking his head gently. I'm the mama so it's difficult to go there and not touch him a little.  Even though Baby GL isn't getting feedings he is still getting oral care with milk.  I had my husband jump in to try it since he's never done it.   He was so gentle in just letting him taste it a little.  I took over just so I could show him how you can really get it in his mouth and Baby GL suckles the swab of milk.  He moves his tongue around a lot more now, too.  You can actually see it come out of his mouth a few times when he's trying to move the tube in his mouth.  

It was the same nurse today as yesterday so again she asked us to kangaroo.  I asked my husband if he wanted to this time because he always acts jealous when I tell him I've done it.  Just as I assumed, he wasn't comfortable yet holding him.  I don't blame him, though.  It is intimidating to hold such a small child.  He is so fragile, but you slowly realize Baby GL's limitations.  Soon, I think, he will be eager to hold him.  Unfortunately, we weren't able to actually get to kangarooing because they were expecting new babies in the NICU.  That causes a lot of excitement so they try not to have too many other things happening that would take them away from the new babies.  So maybe tomorrow I'll get another chance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment