Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Bumbo chair - Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Baby in his Tiny Gdiaper
I made the comment to the nurse the other day that I'm running out of things to share about Baby GL.  His life has gotten pretty normal, which is wonderful news, of course.  We aren't running out everyday to catch doctor's appointments.  We actually have one this week on Friday.  It's a flu clinic, which, I honestly couldn't tell you what the doctor will do at the appointment.  Other than that one we just have the regular visits from the nurse, OT, Speech and PT.  


Last week we began nursing during the day in place of me pumping and Baby GL getting the continuous feeds.  Speech recommended I journal when we nurse to get an idea of home much he's taking.  With nursing he just gets straight milk.  On his continuous feed I fortify the milk to with formula that comes out as 27 extra calories.  I also add vegetable oil to his feeds.  We wanted to make sure he still was gaining that ounce a day even without the fortifying and extra oil.


The nurse came on Monday to weigh him as she does weekly.  The great news is that he gaining exactly 7ozs from Monday to Monday, 9lbs 6oz..  She gave me the go ahead to keep doing what I've been doing.  It changes a lot in scheduling out his meds, but it's nice not to have to set up the pump for his continuous feeds.  We nurse every 3 hours or so and then come evening, about 9pm, he'll go onto the feeds at a rate of 46ml per hour.  I usually run it between 8-10 hours.  


Aside from gaining weight, OT and PT seem to be pleased.  Our goal is to continue working on his mobility.  We even pulled out the Bumbo chair today.  PT wants me to give it a try to stretch out his hamstrings and get him to tones those torso muscles to sit up.  He's so cute it in, but it only lasts a few minutes before he gets upset.  I'm hoping he'll make progress in relaxing those tight muscles all throughout his body.  We do our daily baby yoga twisting and stretching.  At least he enjoys that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment